Instead of changing our circumstances we often spend time worrying and wondering if it’s the “right” thing to do. All of the inner voices start filling us with doubt. What if I make a mistake? What if it’s worse than what I have now? What if I fail? I know that I am guilty of this!
We stay in miserable jobs, abusive and unhappy relationships, keep friends that we have outgrown or who have betrayed us simply because of the time invested and fear of loss. Being afraid of change prevents us from taking risk on a business idea, committing to a new relationship, moving to a new city, going back to school, or breaking self-destructive habits… why do we do this?!
I apologize, but I am not sure I have the answer. I feel like I have been beaten over the head with this lesson for years and still struggle. Though change can be scary and uncomfortable in the short term, it usually turns out okay in the end, and often better.
Even if it ends up being a failed business venture, a miserable relationship, or plans did not turn out as hoped, I am always smarter than before and grateful for the lessons learned.
I like learning from people wiser than myself, and find quotes inspiring. If you are struggling to get going on a project, having trouble finding motivation to workout and change your diet, or experiencing something that is new and uncomfortable, I hope you find these as helpful as I did:
- “A year from now you will wish you had started today.” -Karen Lamb
- “(Wo)man cannot discover new oceans unless (s)he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” -Andre Gide
- “You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.” -Wayne Gretzy
- “In a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.” -Warren Buffett
- “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” -Maria Robinson
- “By changing nothing, nothing changes.” -Tony Robbins
- “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” -Marilyn Monroe
- “Remembering you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.” -Steve Jobs
- “The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.” -Theodore Roosevelt
- “Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.” -Walter Anderson
- “Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.” –Jim Rohn
- “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” –Elbert Hubbard
- “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” –Michael Jordan
- “You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.” -Mary Anne Radmacher
And, my personal favorite…
- “20 years from now you will be disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the one’s you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain